USPA Board Meeting Wraps Up in San Diego
The members of the 2016-2018 USPA Board of Directors took their seats at the first meeting of the three-year term, held February 26-28 in San Diego. The 22-member board welcomed six new members to its ranks.
Among the first orders of business was election of officers, who make up the Executive Committee. The board elected the following:
- President: Jay Stokes
- Vice President: Steve Helffrich
- Secretary: Jan Meyer
- Treasurer: Albert Berchtold
- Member at Large: Mike Mullins
- Chairman of the Board: Al King
Highlights of the meeting include:
- The board instituted a new Basic Safety Requirement, effective immediately: Wingsuit flight within 500 feet vertically or horizontally of any student, including tandem students, is prohibited. Additionally, the board added the following recommendation to the Skydiver’s Information Manual: Wingsuit flight within 500 feet vertically or horizontally of any licensed skydiver under canopy requires prior planning and agreement between the canopy pilot and wingsuit pilot.
- The board selected the following drop zones to host 2016 and 2017 USPA National Championships (exact dates to be announced):
- 2016 Wingsuit Flying Nationals at Chicagoland Skydiving Center in Rochelle, Illinois, in late August
- 2017 National Championships of Canopy Piloting, Canopy Formation and Accuracy Landing at Skydive Paraclete XP in Raeford, North Carolina, in September
- 2017 National Championships of Formation Skydiving, Artistic Events and Wingsuit Flying at Skydive Perris in California in October
- The U.S. Parachute Team Trust Fund will cover the entry fees for all members of the U.S. Parachute Team competing at the 2016 World Championships.
- Kirk Verner will again serve as USPA’s delegate to the International Parachuting Commission.
- The board adopted all rule changes implemented earlier this year by the International Parachuting Commission, excluding optional new event formats for canopy piloting.
A complete report will appear in the April issue of Parachutist. The board will next meet July 22-24 in Alexandria, Virginia.